Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mermaid Aela


Today we return to the land Down Under for a chat with Mermaid Aela. In addition to telling us about swimming in the beautiful waters off the coast of Australia, Aela has an important message to share: You can feel good about yourself, no matter who you are! Please join me in welcoming Mermaid Aela to the blog.

Mermaid Aela
Cynthia: Greetings, Aela, tell us a little about yourself.
Aela: I am Aela, a 29 year old who resides in beautiful Melbourne, Australia. I am so multi-faceted with my hobbies and interests, but in a seashell I am an artist with a passion for creating a beautiful visual image for the world to see and enjoy though Mermaiding.

Cynthia: How did you first get into Mermaiding?
Aela: I first got into Mermaiding back in 2010 after seeing Mermaid Merlissa's beautiful videos and became inspired, realizing life was too short to worry about what other people think. I realized far too many people plod along in life wishing they lived their dreams and fantasies, and I didn't want to be one of those regretful people.

Cynthia: Tell us about your work for anti-bullying and women's self esteem?
Aela: As a curvy mermaid I know first hand and I am passionate that every woman has the right to feel comfortable with herself, no matter what her age, race, colour or body shape is like. Nobody is perfect and many women spend too much time worrying about what other people think of them that they waste valuable time actually living their lives to the fullest! I encourage all women to live their passions here and now. Don't wait for “When I'm a size zero” or “When I finally get a boob job” because then it may be too late. There are always going to be judgmental people around, but self confidence trumps judgmental people every single time. Plus, self confidence is inspiring to other people!

In addition, there will always be bullies no matter what you do. I find that bullies are the people who lack the self confidence to live their dreams, and must put others down to boost their own deflated egos. The trick is to ignore them. Simply swim away. Your time and energy is better spent being an inspiration and a good example for others who truly need someone to look to, than pandering to the boredom of a bully.

Cynthia: You made headlines back in February I hear!
Aela: I certainly did! I become a national headliner, making the front page of Melbourne's Herald Sun! It was so exciting! I did so many radio interviews and even met Australian producer Daniel Scharf! I have also appeared in national magazines, and even the popular Mermaids and Mythology magazine!

Cynthia: You have a number of videos on YouTube.  Tell us about them.
Aela: I try to capture the very essence of what it is to be a mermaid in my videos. To me, being a mermaid is more than simply swimming across the screen. Being a mermaid is all about how you present yourself: my hair, my movements, my facial expressions. A mermaid is the epitome of beauty and allure in my eyes, and I endeavour to capture that and keep the dreams alive.

Adelaide Mermaid Gathering
Cynthia: Have you been to any mermaid gatherings?
Aela: I have! I recently went to Adelaide for a mermaid meet! I was so much fun hanging out and sharing tips and stories with other beautiful Australian mers! It really made my heart swell with happiness to experience this and I have made friends true and strong from it! The Adelaide mermaids were so welcoming and accommodating, I cannot wait to go and visit them again!

Cynthia: Do you have any special stories from your adventures?
Aela: Not long ago, my boyfriend took me to this secret, secluded waterfall, that could only be accessed by clambering over fallen logs, moss covered rocks and other forest debris. But once we got there, it was so beautiful, and made all the more romantic as we took a risk to get there and we helped each other along the way. It's been said before, but there is nothing truly like swimming with the one you love.

Cynthia: Is there anything else you would like to share with us?
Aela: Yes. To me, being a mermaid is more than all the 'likes' I have, or about what ecological stance I take, or who makes my tail. A mermaid is her own, an ethereal creature. I encourage all mermaids to think for themselves, and do not be bothered by what small minds think. Go out and dare to be something more than human society pegs you to be. It's important to shed your inhibitions, live and love your life as you are, right now.

Cynthia: Thank you very much, Aela. You can find Mermaid Aela on Twitter and Facebook. You can also learn more at her web site.


Call for News

Do you have some mermaid related news? A new project, an upcoming event, or perhaps details of an event that recently took place? Do you know of a mermaid or merman that I should interview? Please contact me at the email address below! Thank you!


Best wishes and starfishes,
-Mermaid Cynthia
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com

Blog Index | Ad Information | Top

1 comment: