Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mermaid Rain

I recently put out requests on Facebook for merfolk to send me their stories of being seen by unsuspecting humans. The following two stories were sent in by Mermaid Rain Hauger. I hope you find them as entertaining as I did. I am still looking for more such stories, and will present them in future blog posts. Please send them to the email address below. Here is our first story:
I was swimming in the north shore at Shark's Cove. I was in my mermaid tail just enjoying the sun and swimming through the wierd rock formations and corals. I startled a Japanese couple that was swimming close by. I was in my own little world and didn't even realize them until I was hit in the head with their camera! Apparently I had scared them because all they saw was my tail! They then followed me throughout the entire cove watching me and taking pictures. Every time I turned my head I saw them peeking out at me from behind a rock lol. I would wave and smile and continue on swimming with the fishes and the little turtle. But they were still following me. I don't think they spoke English because every time I tried to say 'Hi' they would smile and nod and then whisper to each other! A camera to the head hurts let me tell ya.
Mermaid Rain
When you are visiting the ocean, you might just spot a mermaid. Don't forget to bring your camera, but please don't hit the mermaid over the head with it!
I also was in Hawaii, and this time I wasn't in the water. My mother lives by Pokai Bay and there is this long beautiful rock wall were I swim to the ocean side of the rock wall and I would lay out and sun bathe. This bay is where all the tour boats from Wikiki would go to bring tourists to swim with dolphins. I was laying there when I heard all this shouting and I turned to find all the people on the boat pointing and screaming at me lol. Instantly the boat began to play music from The Little Mermaid and the tour guide told everyone to wave at Ariel, The Little Mermaid.
I can hear it now, "We are now entering Pokai Bay. On the left you will see... OMG A Mermaid!"

Thank you, Mermaid Rain, for the great stories, and for the following...


The Mermaid Rain Program

The Mermaid Rain Program was created by Mermaid Rain to help children learn about water safety and Ocean Awareness.
The Main Focus of the Program is first and foremost the child's safety in and around water. Every year in the Arizona Phoenix Valley there are at least 10 cases involving a child drowning. This is due to the fact that children aren't properly taught about water safety. Every parent says, "Oh my child is fine, he/she is a great swimmer." That may be the case but things happen.
A very good friend of mine at the age of 16, when I was also 16, drowned in a neighbor's pool. Due to peer pressure he ended up doing something he shouldn't have and drowned! I lost a good friend that day, and a boy who had a bright future died before he could have ever have reached it. 
In the program I talk to children about the do's and don'ts of the pool rules! As well as encourage them to swim and enjoy themselves, but in a safe manner. I also talk to the parents. I give the parents the tools they need to talk to their children, to remind them of the water safety rules. I let the parents know that they are the key to keeping their kids safe. The Mermaid Rain Program is available to anyone and everyone who needs it, not just businesses or child care facilities. 
The Mermaid Rain Program is Non-Profit which means it is Free. I do not charge any money to have me come to your child's party or your pool party or your event. I believe a child's life is too precious to put a price on. I'd prefer to be poor and a child safe. However, the Mermaid Rain Program does except donations. All the donations go back into the program whether it's for information pamphlets, flyers, props that I use for the kids, the little treasures I like to bring them, or the upkeep of my mermaid tail.
Love, and Fishy Kisses
Mermaid Rain 
And always remember watch your children around the water this summer!
You can find Mermaid Rain splashing around on Facebook as well.

Best wishes and starfishes,
-Mermaid Cynthia
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment