Sunday, April 1, 2012

Aquatic Takeover


I hope everyone is enjoying the change of season. In today's very special blog post, I would like to introduce you to Mermai...


Cynthia: What happened?!
Danny: Hello, Cynthia. My name is Danny Dolphin and I have taken over your blog for today! Swim aside!

Cynthia: You can't do that!
Danny: I just did. Now just sit there on that nice rock. You might even enjoy yourself.
Cynthia: I hope you know what you're doing. I have tens of faithful readers you know...

Danny: Today we are going to get to know a mermaid that you may have heard something about in the recent past. In this blog post, I will be interviewing Mermaid Cynthia.

Danny
Cynthia: Hey! Wait a nautical minute, that's me!
Danny: That's right, fishy girl. The tides have turned and you are the subject of today's blog.
Cynthia: I knew I should have kept my security software up to date...

Danny: Okay, Cynthia, tell us about yourself.
Cynthia: Well, alright... I grew up in the New England region of the US, splashing around in the northern Atlantic as much as I could. At one point, a company I was working for moved me to north Texas, and I have been here ever since. No matter where we live, I believe each of us should do their part to keep plastics and trash out of our waterways.

Danny: How did you become known as the Gold Mermaid?
Cynthia: Soon after joining the virtual world of Second Life (SL) in 2006, I found out that there were mermaids there. It wasn't until late 2007, though, that I became one.  The first SL tail I bought, an aqua one, never got much use. Around September of 2007 I found a shop that sold mermaid tails and fairy wings. I liked the look of the gold tail and bought it. I initially tried it out in fairly isolated places. I was telling a guy I knew about it, and showed it to him. He took a photo of me that I really liked, and came to use it a lot.

Mermaid Cynthia - Photo by David Kamada
It was about this time that the mermaid soul within me woke up. I found a few friends that were also interested in mermaids, and took them to the shop where I got my gold tail. They chose green and purple tails. I went looking for an SL mermaid group and soon found one. The group wasn't very active, however, and I soon left. I decided to start my own group, and called it Gold Mermaid. My two friends joined and we soon added more members.

Mermaiding in SL was fun, but I wanted to do more. I bought the domain goldmermaid.com and started a series of articles on New England cities and towns. Eventually, updates became less frequent as I ran out of places to talk about. I received my real-life mermaid tail in December of 2010, a gold one of course. In December of 2011, I started this blog and have been pleased by the readership stats.

Danny: Where do you swim?
Cynthia: I have a backyard pool, and use it extensively during the summer. I have a sign next to the pool that says, "Mermaid Crossing."  I attended the World Mermaid Awards and Convention in 2011. That was my first opportunity to swim with other merfolk, and I really enjoyed it. Some day I hope to be able to do some ocean mermaiding.

Danny: How do friends react to you being a mermaid?
Cynthia: Everyone has been great. A guy I know has taken to calling me 'Sushi'. One friend bought me a mermaid themed t-shirt, and another bought me a mermaid toilet flush handle.

Danny: What are your favorite mermaid themed movies and books?
Cynthia: My favorite mermaid movie would have to be Splash. And, it was great to see mermaids featured in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I never really took to The Little Mermaid for some reason. It may have been because I couldn't identify with a mermaid that wanted to be human.

I have read a number of mermaid themed novels, and enjoyed each one of them.  My second blog post, you may remember, was on this very subject.  I am looking forward to reading the third book in the Fins series by Tera Lynn Childs when it comes out.

Danny: Anything else you would like to share with us?
Cynthia: A friend of mine recently had as her Skype status, "Dream a little."  I sent her a message, "I dreamed a little, and now I have a fish tail!"  I would like to invite everyone reading this to dream a little. It doesn't matter how old you are, if you're male or female, or if you live inland or near the ocean.  If you're a mermaid fan, I hope you will continue reading this blog.  But if the mermaid or merman in you has come to life, then dive in and get your tail wet!

Danny: Thank you, Cynthia, for letting me take over today. Thank you all for reading! Please check back next time, as Cynthia has another hot article planned. Best wishes to all, and have a great day!

-Danny Dolphin, c/o Mermaid Cynthia
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com

Blog Index

No comments:

Post a Comment