Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mermaid Cydney

Today we are traveling to the southwestern part of the United States to meet Mermaid Cydney, a very active mermaid and a friend of nature.

Cynthia: Good afternoon, can you tell us about yourself?
Cydney: My name is Cydney. I am a 20 year old native of Colorado. When I am not a mermaid, I am a full time student and a part time nanny. I love animals, exercise, traveling, and random adventures.

Mermaid Cydney
CynthiaHow did you get interested in mermaids?
CydneyWhen I was young, I saw The Little Mermaid and was fascinated with the underwater world. It was completely foreign and magically to me because at that age I had never seen the ocean. From then on out I checked out anything and everything having to do with the ocean. I even had my parents paint my room blue with an orca and dolphin. I didn't see Splash until I was much older but I was in awe when I watched it. That is what really made me believe in mermaids. I wish they showed even more of her tail in the movie. It's cool to see something in a movie when you are younger and learn about it when you're older. When I found out I could have my own custom tail, I knew I had to have one.

CynthiaYou do children's birthday parties?
CydneyI have done a few children's birthday parties. It is always a different experience, so it never gets dull. Being landlocked makes it a little more difficult in my opinion, just because the demand for mermaids is fairly low. Who would have thought they would start appearing in the middle of the country? I would love to do other kinds of parties and events as well!

CynthiaDo you have a story about kids or adults seeing you for the first time?
CydneyThe looks on their faces is the best part. Some do double takes, others come up and ask why or want their picture taken with you. Poking your head out of the water and then diving down so they can see your tail is fun. Children think that you are real so it's really special to be able to bring that magic to them and leave them with a great memory.

CynthiaTell us about the Awareness events that you participate in.
CydneyUnfortunately, I have not been to an awareness event in my tail yet. I have attended a few and it really helps to get background info on what is actually going on in our world before presenting the information as a public figure. I look forward to gaining more knowledge and making sure it is accurate, and then passing it on to others via my mermaid persona. I hope to organize my own event in the future as well.

CynthiaHave you attended any merfolk gatherings?
Cydney: I did attend the World Mermaid Awards in Las Vegas in 2011. It was great to be able to spend time with fellow mermaids that I have met through the internet! There were a lot of events to go to and plenty of different outfits to see. Definitely something I would consider going to again. There seems to be a lot of gatherings popping up lately, so it is good to see the community expanding.

Mermaid Cydney
CynthiaI hear you create mermaid accessories.
CydneyCreating mermaid accessories is one of my favorite hobbies. The most time consuming projects are the custom seashell bras, by far: finding pairs, drilling, decorating, and tying everything together. I also make hair clips, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Things have been pretty crazy lately so production has come to a halt but I'm hoping this summer will lead to more creating.

CynthiaWere family and friends understanding of you being a mermaid?
CydneyMy friends and family are extremely supportive of what I do. Whenever we go on vacation, my mom is so patient when I ask her to take some photos to document my travels. My dad and little brother don't really get it but they understand that it makes me happy so they help me around when I need it. I couldn't ask for a better best friend. She supports me 100% and even humors me by trying my tails on.

CynthiaWhat kind of drawings and paintings do you do?
CydneyI wish I was a better artist haha. I tend to draw and paint animals and objects more than people. I really love to make three dimensional multimedia pieces. The last piece I made had melted crayons, real starfish and seashells, fake seaweed, glitter, bubble beads, and other materials. Fantasy is something that is always incorporated; what is art without a little imagination?

CynthiaThank you, Cydney! Best of luck in your future adventures! Look for Mermaid Cydney on Facebook as well as her Deviantart page.

Best wishes and starfishes,
-Mermaid Cynthia
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com

Blog Index | Ad Information | Top

No comments:

Post a Comment