Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Merman Patrick

Mermaids are indeed rare aquatic creatures. The merman, even more so. Today we will be chatting with Merman Patrick, who we find splashing around in the western part of New York state in the US.

Cynthia: Hello, Patrick.  Please tell us a little about yourself.
Patrick: I am from Rochester, NY, USA... a rather landlocked area far from the ocean but on the Great Lakes and the Finger Lakes of western NY. Was born, raised and currently living in the town of Greece which is a suburb of Rochester.  I have been fascinated with merfolk for 40 years now and have been swimming as one now for eight years.

Merman Patrick
Cynthia: How did you get interested in mermaids?
Patrick: I have always held a fascination with mermaids for as long as I can remember. When I was six my parents put in an inground pool so I naturally took to swimming like a mermaid. Grandpa had a novelty fishing lure with a mermaid attached which I had to plead to have, sans hook. By the time I was in junior high I was drawing and sculpting mermaids and mermen. By the time Splash and The Little Mermaid hit the theaters I was literally hooked, lol.

Cynthia: Where do you usually swim?
Patrick: I have only had the chance to swim at friends pools or at my sister's when she goes on vacation and I have private access to her pool. Being in the northern realms does not lend itself convenient to warm waters.

Cynthia: Where did you get your tail? Other merfolk are always interested.
Patrick: The one tail pictured is from Earth Song Designs by Lyndsey on Etsy. Other tails I have are from Foxmoon Productions, MermaidFX and from LuxuryLatex on eBay.

Cynthia: What are the reactions of humans that discover you when you are swimming?
Patrick: LOL an older couple actually caught myself and a friend at the beach one time. The woman thought it was very cool. The guy thought my female companion made a better mermaid... or as he called me: a male mermaid.

Cynthia: Are you active in helping to save the environment?
Patrick: Not very active but I do do my part at home and at work to recycle, avoid non-biodegradables, etc.

Cynthia: Have you attended any merfolk gatherings?
Patrick: Not yet but do hope to do so in the near future. Most mer-outings have been restricted to the local beaches and water areas as well as Halloween.

Cynthia: Do you have a collection of mermaid or nautical items?
Patrick: I have always collected mermaid items, mostly Disney's Little Mermaid in the form of pins, figurines and animation artwork. Most is stored away but some day I hope to display all my treasures around the house. With the internet I found a host of images and started collecting them as well... at last count about 3,000 images.
Why is the rum always gone?

Cynthia: Were your family and friends understanding of your merman side?
Patrick: LOL Family does not know... friends however have been very accepting and are often fascinated by it although some still think I am a mermaid, lol.

Cynthia: I see that you also have a pirate side.
Patrick: Aye, lassie.. right ye be!!! I got into the pirate side about seven years ago when I went to our local ren faire at Sterling, NY. Started out as a generic pirate but have gradually added to my costume til it took on a Sparrowish life of its own. I stay mainly locally in the western NY area, attending local pirate events as well as making the rounds during Halloween.

Cynthia: Thank you, Patrick!  It was a pleasure learning more about your pirate side as well as your merman side. Readers, you can find Merman Patrick on Facebook.

Best wishes and starfishes,
-Mermaid Cynthia
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com

Blog Index | Ad Information | Top

No comments:

Post a Comment