Here are the answers to the quiz that appeared in my previous blog post. If you haven't done the quiz yet, why not give it a try? Once you have answered all of the questions, come back here and check your answers.
Congratulations to Kurt Cagle (USA) for being the first one to send me an email with the correct answers! Everyone splash Kurt when you see him!
And now, here are the correct answers:
1. In the movie Splash, where do Madison and Allen first meet?
Madison and Allen first meet when they are six years old. Allen falls/jumps into the water from a tour boat off the coast of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Therefore, the correct answer is (b) Waters off of Cape Cod.
2. Where do Claire and Hailey first find the mermaid Aquamarine in the movie by the same name?
After a fierce storm caused by Aquamarine's father, Claire and Hailey find the mermaid in the swimming pool of the Florida beach resort where they are staying. The correct answer is (a) Swimming pool.
3. In the popular mermish dialect, what does 'Lusa Em' mean?
In the mermish dialect created by author Francine Rose for the book The Secret World of Mermaids, 'Lusa Em' means 'goodbye', or literally 'see you'. And so, the correct answer is (d) See you.
4. During the second season of H2O: Just Add Water, which girl becomes the fourth mermaid?
In the episode entitled 'And Then There Were Four', Charlotte dives into the moon pool just as the full moon is shining overhead and becomes the fourth mermaid. The correct answer is (c) Charlotte.
5. In August 2009, a town in which country offered a prize of $1 million for anyone who could prove the existence of a mermaid off its coast?
The correct answer is (b) Israel. As far as we know, the prize has not yet been claimed.
6. The opening scene of Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid shows what?
The movie opens with Mrs. Peabody talking to a psychiatrist, telling him that her husband is in love with a mermaid. The correct answer is (e) Mrs. Peabody talking to a psychiatrist.
7. Which movie involves the rescue of a dolphin from a corrupt scientist at an aquarium?
After being told by a friend that she needs to get out of house and do something for herself, Madison takes on the task of rescuing a dolphin from a corrupt scientist. This is a major plot point in this sequel to Splash. The answer is (c) Splash, Too.
8. Who is Lori Lemaris?
Lori Lemaris is a mermaid, and just one of the many characters with double L names in the world of Superman comics. Wikipedia has an article on Mermaid Lori for those that are interested. The correct answer is (d) Comic book mermaid.
9. The Coney Island Mermaid Parade began in what year?
The Coney Island Mermaid Parade takes place in mid to late June each year in Coney Island, New York, USA. The correct answer is (a) 1983.
10. In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, what does Harry eat to breathe under water?
The house elf, Dobby, tells Harry about gillyweed. This allows Harry to stay under water for up to an hour during the second task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. The word begins with 'gill', which is a clue as to the plant's use. The correct answer is (b) Gillyweed.
Around the Block
On Saturday (28 January 2012), two of us went around the block (~3 miles / ~4.8 km) picking up trash along the side of the road. The result was 10 pounds (4.5 kg) of trash and recyclables (see photo). During the trip, we rewarded ourselves with a visit to a Braums ice cream store!
Check out my blog post 'Mermaids Make a Difference' to find out how you can help!
Best wishes and starfishes,
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com