Saturday, June 30, 2012

Stevie Pagano

Today I have the pleasure of chatting with artist Stevie Pagano. I first saw Stevie's unique works on Facebook. In this blog post, we will be introduced to her Kraken Flasks, her other works, and what to expect in the future!

Cynthia: Welcome, Stevie! Please introduce yourself to my readers.
Stevie: My name is Stevie, I have been a production artist working for the film and entertainment industries since the early 90`s. It has been my great pleasure to work on projects for clients such as Cirque du Soleil, Disney and DreamWorks Pictures.

I moved to Portland, Oregon about 12 years ago to work for Will Vintons Studio, and fell in love with this area that is now my home. In 2010 I began making my own art and started the Elstwhen Shoppe on Etsy.

Kraken Flasks
Cynthia: You make some wonderful creations out of glass flasks. Tell us about them.
Stevie: Thank you Cynthia. The Kraken, is a Norse legend, with a German name (Kraken is the German word for Octopus) and a Greek literary history, I just think that's kewl!

I have always loved glass, how it catches and bends light, that it is a solid and a liquid, it melts, and is ever recyclable. Octopi and glass have a lot in common, from light bending abilities to solid liquid forms and beautiful fluidity, it seemed natural to put them together. They are a combination of my love for the sea, history, lore and, of course, octopus.

Getting all dressed up in costume and going to the fairs, has always been fun. I like all of them, Renn, Faerie, Pirate and now Mer! Last year I took some of the first Kraken Flasks to the Portland Pirate Festival. It was a great show, my first one as a vendor, and it was a most encouraging experience.

Kraken Flasks have evolved from a small pirate costume accessory, into fine art glassware and decanters. Each one is sculpted individually, using a stone-hard material that is firmly attached to the glassware. These sculptures are made to last for generations.
The Krakens are hand-painted with acrylic paints and gloss finished, then they are ready for their photo shoot. Afterwards, they are cleaned and sanitized, corked, packaged, and ready for shipping. Each one takes up to 2 weeks to complete, and no two are the same. It took a while to figure out how to make them cost effective and continue to sculpt what I love. There are some very lucky pirates out there who purchased early made Krakens at buccaneer prices.

Sea Stars
Cynthia: What is new or special?
Stevie: The Sea Stars are new, they allow me the option to use a lot of bright colors, and smaller glassware. The sculpting on these takes less time than the Krakens, making them more accessible as costume accessories or tropical decor. Many of these smaller creations make wonderful color changing night lights, when combined with the "Glamorpus Night Light Kit" (available online at the Elstwhen Shoppe). I have also added barnacles and color changing Swarovski Crystals to many of the new works.

Cynthia: What creations can we look forward to in the near future?
Stevie: A new line of "Merware by Elstwhen" is in the works, including crowns, scepters and jewelery, featuring original designs and sculpture. I am currently very excited to be working on several nautical collaborations with artist and good friend, Susan Tooker of Spinning Castle.

And the first ever "The Krakens of Elstwhen" Volume 1, a hardcover coffee table book featuring full page photos and maps, lore and tales of their captures. I hope to have the book available in time for Christmas.

Cynthia: Is there anything else you would like to share with us?
Stevie: I just want to say thank you Cynthia, for helping introduce Elstwhen to the Mer-community, and thank you to my patrons. With your support I am able to create and evolve the artwork I love so dearly. Elstwhen supports "Art in Schools" by contributing to The Eight Arms of Inspiration Project.

Krakens with Glamorpus Night Light Kit
Cynthia: Thank you very much, Stevie! You can connect with Stevie on Facebook on her personal page and you can also drop by and Like her Elstwhen page.

Best wishes and starfishes,
-Mermaid Cynthia
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com

Blog Index | Ad Information | Top

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Cynthia! Amazing glass work here. I just posted on my brand new site and I included a link to your blog. My post is all about mermaids. :-)
    The title is "Mermaids aren't real?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana!

      Check out Diana's blog post at http://dianabeebe.wordpress.com

      Delete