Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mermaid Lorelei

For today's blog post, we will be chatting with the very talented Lorelei Mermaiden. In addition to her role as a mermaid princess (and what mermaid wouldn't want that job!), she is also part of the group, Mister Mac and The Mermaids. Please join me in welcoming Lorelei to the blog!

Lorelei Mermaiden
Cynthia: Greetings, Lorelei, tell me a little about yourself.
Lorelei: Most of you know me by my stage name, Lorelei Mermaiden, but my real name is Jennifer Ellison. I was born and raised in San Diego and absolutely love it here! I don't like any vegetable that starts with the letter "a", I'm a die-hard country music fan, I play guitar, ukulele, piano, and love to sing in the shower. Also, my favorite candy is Reese's, just in case you ever run into me and need a favor.

Cynthia: How did you get interested in mermaids?
Lorelei: It all started when I was young and first saw "The Little Mermaid". I was obsessed with Ariel. I mean, come on, what little girl doesn't dream about one day becoming a mermaid? There's just something so magical and glamorous about the unknown waters. I remember putting on a play in preschool where I was chosen to play Ariel, and that's when I discovered my love of singing and performing.

About five years ago, I auditioned to become a children's entertainer that portrays Ariel (among other princesses) at little girls' birthday parties, and got the part! To date, I've performed at over 500 events for children and adults alike and I have to say, every single party is rewarding and memorable. I wouldn't give it up for the world, but let's be honest- I can't be a princess forever!

Naturally, my job as a princess led me to meet other talented performers and somehow I ended up becoming friends with Thom Shouse on Facebook. If his name isn't familiar to you, his work is! He created the mermaid tail for the popular mermaid movie "Splash!". I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of his mermaids for a photo shoot last year and am so grateful to call him my friend!

Mister Mac & The Mermaids
Cynthia: Tell us about Mister Mac and the Mermaids.
Lorelei: Our tagline says it all- "the world's only Pirate and Mermaid Band" (Though if you see our show, the mermaids will argue that it is the world's only Mermaid and Pirate Band).

Mister Mac is a beloved pirate entertainer standing almost 7 feet tall. He sounds intimidating but It's hard not to instantly adore him. Mac is great friends with Thom Shouse, too, and that's how we met. Mac wanted to add a little something extra to his show to give him that extra edge and appeal more to kids. Finding a great white shark that sang and was available for gigs seemed difficult- and dangerous- so he settled with mermaids.

Avalon Fynn is the other mermaid in our band. She is played by singer/actress/model Ashely Rowlett, who has a background similar to mine. Our love for performing and interacting with kids is what makes our act so magical!

We sing original songs written by Mister Mac himself, as well as some popular cover songs about life at sea. I even play the ukulele! Although our show is geared for the younger audience, it can be tailored for any event.

Cynthia: How did family and friends react to you turning into a mermaid?
Lorelei: It sounds weird, right? Including "mermaid performer" on a resume isn't something I thought I would ever do! I often get the impression people assume I'm just dressing up and flopping around for fun. It's a paid gig for me, but the real reason I enjoy it so much is because of the kids.

Both, girls and boys are enchanted when they meet me for the first time. I can see in their eyes that they truly believe I am a real mermaid. Just like Santa does, I make sure to spend a little time with each child that comes to visit me. Some of them just stare at me with wide eyes and dropped jaws. Others are very clever and have intriguing questions. My favorite so far- "If you're a mermaid, how do you pee?"


Cynthia: Have you attended or do you plan to attend any mermaid gatherings?
Lorelei: Yes! Mister Mac and the Mermaids has really taken off and we've already had several bookings this year. We debuted our show at the Pirate Festival in Vallejo, CA a few weeks ago and just finished up performing at the Long Beach Pirate Invasion. Our next show is on the 4th of July for CBS Studios!

We are available for bookings all over California, and are willing to set sail to other states as well! For booking information, please visit our website.

Cynthia: Is there anything else you would like to share with us?
Lorelei: There are many people who have helped to make our vision for Mister Mac and the Mermaids a reality. I want to take a quick minute to thank everyone who donated to our Kickstarter project. Without your support, we would just be a marooned pirate and two mermaids tanning on a dock. Hallows Keep Creations has also been a huge supporter or ours. They fabricate pirate and ocean themed props and created our mermaid rocks and the seaweed we hang on our microphones. And last but not least, a huge shout out to our dear friend, Thom Shouse, "The Tailman" whom we love dearly. Hugs and fishes! xoxox.

Cynthia: Thank you very much, Lorelei! You can visit Lorelei Mermaiden on her Facebook page. Mister Mac and The Mermaids also has a web site, a Facebook page and a YouTube page!


News Splash

From Mermaid Kariel, Hawaii

This full moon brings with it a huge wave of excitement for Kariel's world. Her online store is about to launch where she will be premiering her new skin care line which will bring out the inner Sea Goddess in you. So get your sand dollars to the ready and visit www.merchandise.com. All products are also available for wholesale, so let us know if you'd like Mermaid Kariel's products in your store.

This tide also brings with it a Mer from afar, Kariel is excited to announce she will be sponsoring British Lauren Ashcroft to work for her company. We will keep you updated as the company continues to grow and thank you for your continued love and support.

From Mermaid Cynthia

Just yesterday I found out that my friend Diana has started a blog. While this will probably not be true for all future installments, the first installment is about mermaids!  She was inspired by the recent news that the US organization NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) has declared that 'mermaids do not exist.' See what Diana has to say about that!

Best wishes and starfishes,
-Mermaid Cynthia
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment