Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year 2014

I would like to wish all my readers a very happy splashy new year! This week, I would like to share some art and music with you all.

Queen and Mermaid Triptych

Today, let's pay a visit to Trungles' Deviantart page where we find a triptych depicting a queen and a mermaid. Note the attention to detail in the hair of both the queen and the mermaid. Beautiful!

For those that are not familiar, a triptych is a three-paneled artwork in which the center panel is usually larger than the side panels. You can find out more about this style of art at Wikipedia.


Kaukonen - The Mermaid Song
Jorma Kaukonen


I recently discovered another piece of music with a mermaid theme, The Mermaid Song by Jorma Kaukonen. After giving it a listen, I would have to say that I prefer The Mermaid Song by Dylan Guthro. Same title, very different lyrics.

Let me know which version of The Mermaid Song you prefer! I would also like to recommend these other titles with a mermaid theme:

Mermaid by Train, from their CD, California 37.

The CD, Solo Piano for Love, Peace & Mermaids by Louis Landon.

The soundtrack to H2O: Just Add Water by Kate Alexa.

The two-disc special edition of Disney's The Little Mermaid soundtrack.


Selkies Art

Artist Phillip Light thinks mermaids have been played out, and selkies (woman + seal) are where it's at. I am not sure I agree, but do swim on over to io9 where columnist Katharine Trendcosta has the details.

Note that the two examples of Phillip's artwork shown in the article may not be suitable for all ages.


Best wishes and starfishes,
-Mermaid Cynthia
cynthia (at) goldmermaid.com

Blog Index | Ad Information | Top

No comments:

Post a Comment